Saturday, September 26, 2009

Meditation. Let's start!




Meditation is the backbone of some of the philosophies I like best. Namely Buddhism and Hinduism.
There are numerous reports and stories about how a little daily meditation can totally change your outlook and make life and work much more enjoyable. I like to talk the talk and say I meditate every day but I don't. Why?
I've decided that's enough talk, I'm going to start this weekend. All you have to do is take 15 minutes and sit attempting to clear your mind. That's all it is. There is no "practice" or "getting better." You simply meditate.
It helps to keep your mind centered, thus allowing you to perform better in your everyday activities.
Today people are dealing with a lot of stress managing their careers and family life. If they would just try a little meditation, they would find things to be much more relaxed and easier to handle.

But if you bring up the idea in most of our workplace environments, you get laughed at. I think meditation would be a perfect thing to try at my job for example. The staff I work with are mostly happy and it is a great place to work, but as with any job, sometimes the stress can have an effect.
If we took 15 minutes before the start of the sales meeting once a week to meditate and clear our thoughts, I guarantee you people would find it to be a positive experience. Many businesses out there have found this to be true. But I don't see that happening anytime soon. I get made fun of enough for having this Buddha statue on my desk!
Starting this week, I'm going to make a serious effort to meditate each morning and evening. I don't know if I can get Kayla to join in but I'll ask.

Here are some links below on the subject.

http://hubpages.com/hub/A-Quick-Guide-to-Meditation-in-the-Workplace

http://www.polarisbusinessguides.com/workplace_meditation.htm

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/08/090804114102.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment