Thursday, December 31, 2009

Top Ten Favorite Songs of 2009

It's New Year's Eve and this year there seems to have been so many "Best of" lists of not only 2009 but of the decade as a whole. Not to be left out, I thought I would post my top 10 favorite songs of 2009.

I first want to point out that these songs do not have to be written or released in 2009, just discovered and listened to a lot by me during the year. And while I love all of these songs, they are listed in order with the number one song being my personal favorite song and most listened to of 2009. So here goes!

10. "Walking with a Ghost" by Tegan and Sara

From their album "So Jealous," I came across this song like most, by accident. Kayla and I were cleaning around the house and listening to one of Insight's digital music channels on the TV. This song popped up and I thought it was instantly really catchy and had a great simple melody. It also gets stuck in your head and stays there!



9. "Starstruck" by Lady Gaga

I know it is kind of lame to put a Lady Gaga song on this list but it really was her year when it came to mainstream music in 2009.
Although I am not a big fan of her loud, outlandish style of performing, I think her music is great and very well produced.
For whatever weird reason, I have always had a weird, unexplainable like for dance/electronic music and this song is one of the best on "The Fame."
It has not been released as a single and is not as recognizable as "Poker Face" or "Love Game" but I played this song more than any other on the album, so it makes my list.



8. "Human Nature" by Michael Jackson

I had to put a Michael Jackson song on this list because I have been a fan since childhood and with his death this year, he was thrust back into the spotlight. So many of his songs could have made this list but I listened to "Human Nature" the most because it has an almost melancholy feel to it which goes along with the sad news surrounding his death. It was also included in the film "This is It" as well.
The one positive that came out of Michael Jackson's death was the return of respect for him. During the last few years, he had become such a joke and with his death, the public listened to his music and came full circle, appreciating how great he really was.



7. "Alive" by Black Eyed Peas

The album "The E.N.D." by the Black Eyed Peas had a big 2009. It was without a doubt my guilty pleasure album of the year. For all of it's auto-tune and over-produced production, at it's core, it had some great, catchy songs on it.
I am a huge Daft Punk fan and it seems to me that the Black Eyed Peas decided to copycat them and make a techno album.
...And you know what? I'm cool with that. I loved "Boom Boom Pow" but I played "Alive" more. It just has a great vibe to it.



6. "Forever Young" by Alphaville

Here is a throwback for you!
One of my favorite movies is the classic "Napoleon Dynamite" and I always loved the campy, yet surprisingly good song that played in the background during the school dance. It sounded so nerdy but at the same time, it has a great melody and sound to it.
I always noticed it but never took the time to find it. Then one night we were watching "Big Love" on HBO and they played the song during the closing credits. This caused me to like the song even more, so I finally got on iTunes and downloaded it.
It's a great song! It's so 80s but that's cool.



5. "Stand Back" by Linus Loves featuring Sam Obernik

As we break into the top five, this is the song nobody is going to understand, and frankly, I do not either. I have no idea why I like this song. It's basically just a copy of a really good song by Stevie Nicks but I guess it's my unexplained like of techno making it's appearance again.
There is also a longer instrumental version of this by Linus Loves called "The Terrace" that I really enjoyed listening to as well.
Plus the music video is a little camptastic.



4. "Two Weeks" by Grizzly Bear

I just discovered this song last week. It could be potential too fresh to make the list, but after a few minutes thinking about it, I put it on the list anyway. I really like this song!
I found it while listening to a best of 2009 segment on Bob Edwards weekend. They played a clip of it and I was completely hooked.
I love the production of the harmonies. It sounds like a great Beach Boys song.
"Two Weeks" is very similar to a lot of songs that make my best of list such as "Phantom Limb" by The Shins.
I guess I like sad depressing songs.



3. "Colony of Birchmen" by Mastodon

Well I have to get my heavy metal entry from somewhere and this absolutely fills the void. This song was included on the video game "Rock Band." I remember playing through it and saying to myself, "this is one of the heaviest songs I've ever heard and actually liked."
It's very abrasive but you have to respect the musicianship. The tempo changes and riffs they unleash are amazing.
I bought their album "Blood Mountain" and it's great, but none of the other songs give me quite the hard rock satisfaction this song does.
Don't be scared by this song, give it a chance!



2. "Change your Mind" by The Killers

I love The Killers. Something about their hybrid of pop, 80s synthesizer, and rock appeals to me. My favorite song of last year was their hit "Human" from the album "Day and Age" so it is no surprise that they make another appearance this year.
"Change your Mind" is actually from their earlier album "Hot Fuss," which has so many great songs on it, but for whatever reason, this song slipped through and I failed to notice it.
I've likely listened to it at least once a day for most of the year. The lyrics, songwriting, and production are all perfect to me.
I was also lucky enough to see them play it live when they performed in Indiana this past Summer.



1. "The Ocean" by Dar Williams

This is a total dark horse winner for my favorite song of the year. VERY RANDOM.
Kayla introduced me to Dar Williams and while I am not into this "Lilith Fair" type of music, something about her songs struck a nerve.
"The Ocean" is a perfect song. Everything from the music and lyrics, to the mixing and production. It's all flawless.
The album "Mortal City" is full of great songs, but this one rises even higher.
It's a very sappy song but I've always said that I will never lie when it comes to admitting what music I like.
It has a very unique sound, especially when you have a male background voice along with the female lead. That is Kayla's favorite part of the song.



Well these were my songs of 2009. What were yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment